A grassroots nonprofit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to promoting world peace by bringing together people of diverse cultures and backgrounds; providing interfaith spiritual support to those in need; and engaging in local and global humanitarian outreach efforts



Sunday, July 4, 2010

Step # 2 - Let the Games Begin!


Last night, I decided to stop my other knitting projects (1 child's hat & 1 adult scarf to donate for our "Earth Angel" project & a sweater for a friend) and got down to creating square #1 for this Fisherman Sampler Afghan project.

I am using #9 bamboo needles and theLion Brand Fishermen's Wool (#150 in Natural color #098), which we will all be using for this project. It looks like casting on 56 stitches is going to work for my 10" x 10" square, but you will need to use the number of stitches that will match your needle size & how tightly (or loosely) you knit.

This was a trial & error system for me.  Originally, I started with more stitches and knitted a couple of rows to see how the gauge was working.  Then I realized that even though the gauge seemed to be working with 56 stitches, the piece will need to be blocked because I'm working with a cable-type stitch, which is having an accordion effect on the square.  I will post the directions for blocking the squares, once we get to that point.

Here are the directions for the "Open Lattice" stitch pattern that I'm using for my first square, but please use your favorite patterns, as we don't want too many of the same kind.

OPEN LATTICE STITCH
 
Multiples of 6 sts plus 2
KEY:
C4B = slip 2 sts onto CN (cable needle) and hold at back of work, K2, K2 from CN
C4F = slip 2 sts onto CN and hold at front of work, K2, K2 from CN
T4B = slip 2 sts onto CN and hold at back of work, K2, P2 from CN
T4F = slip 2 sts onto CN and hold at front of work, P2, K2 from CN
PATTERN:
Row 1: [WS] K3, P4, *K2, P4, rep from * to last st, K1
Row 2: P1, C4F, *P2, C4F, rep from * to last 3 sts, P3
Row 3: As row 1
Row 4: P3, *K2, T4B, rep from * to last 5 sts, K4, P1
Row 5: K1, P4, *K2, P4, rep from * to last 3sts, K3
Row 6: P3, C4B, *P2, C4B, rep from * to last sts, P1
Row 7: As row 5
Row 8: P1, K4, *T4F, K2, rep from * to last 3 sts, P3
Repeat these 8 rows



Will try to post photos of the squares as we progress. So, please do send me your photos and patterns, if you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment